Asparagine depletion against leukemias and lymphomas
• 150,000 diagnosis per year in the U.S.
• Treatment failures and limited applicability of asparagine depletion are due to:
– Immune reactions (to non-human origin enzyme and/or to PEG)
– Silent inactivation
– Pancreatitis, hepatotoxicity, coagulopathy, CNS complications, etc.
• Asparaginase encapsulated within SHELS
• Shielded enzyme prevents immune reactions, avoids silent inactivation
• PEG-free formulation avoids reactions to PEG
• IV or IM administration for long term systemic depletion